Thursday, September 29, 2011

On The Road Again 18

Thursday Morning on the Fern Deck

KJ and Diane threw one heckofa dinner party last night!  Diane’s daughter Lexa was there with her husband Dan and their ADORABLE baby Emma, Lyle and Denise came and of course Frye-cakes.  (V, we missed you!)  As I write this from the Frye-cake deck that is brimming with antiques, doo-dads, ferns and dogs, last night’s wine is still editing my thoughts. 

I have a confession.  I haven’t been entirely honest with you.  When I said that the RV had a little problem, what I really should have said is that the RV had a BIG problem.  Remember  Dent Ohio?  The last night we were at my sister’s house, there was a huge storm and it drenched the area and the inside of our RV.  The trickling stream that we were parked next to turned into a raging creek the next morning.  Walking to the kitchen in the RV, our socks became soaking wet.  Yup, we had a bucket full of leaks!  UGH!  Neither Jolynn nor I really wanted to elaborate on yet another RV problem so I kinda omitted it but SOME people (you know who you are, Erie friends) have encouraged me to come clean on this subject.  The visit to the RV dealer on Peach Street in Erie, PA yesterday resulted in new gaskets around the ceiling air conditioners and today Jolynn will seal some other troubling spots on the roof.  The optimist in me says that this has got to be the very last problem with the RV but…….who knows……  One thing is for sure, I will not lie to you anymore.  I’ve cleared my conscience and I’ll continue to let you in on every single little ugly RV repair issue from this point on.  Kathy’s dryer is drying the soaked items from the flood, the fans are spinning in the RV to dry out the carpet and Jolynn is getting her rubber shoes on so she work on the roof today before it rains. 

And it will rain.  How do I know? Because Frye-cakes has planned a giant yard sale for Saturday and as luck would have it, the forecast is calling for scattered showers.  This is not just any garage sale.  Kathy (aka Frye-cakes) has written the following ad and it’s in the newspaper that is laying here beside me:

“EVERYTHING GOES…..OR THEY DON'T!  Help me help my friends leave.  They arrived here a week ago in an RV from Oregon, with many breakdowns, along the way.  Now, before I have one (breakdown), I have offered to have a garage sale with all proceeds benefiting their departure.  Collectables, junk, vintage items, good stuff, antiques.  Come help out these 2 broke girls, and be a part of their wild cross country adventure.  This is an annual sale.  Let’s get their wheels rolling again.”

That’s my best friend Frye-cakes.  She’s a trip.  She has a good heart and we have a long history of friendship,  tears and laughter and I love her to pieces.  Her basement FULL of stuff should help us out quite a bit as we try to steady the RV and all of it’s many issues on this long and windy road. 

Where will the road take us today and will we make enough money to be able to afford to leave Fairview?  I’ll keep you posted.
P.S.  Before I could get this blog posted this morning, we got a phone call from a woman who loved Kathy’s ad and who wants to come and buy something just to be supportive.  Kathy is scheming up ideas.   She wants to charge admission for viewings of our RV and she is going to sell hot dogs and drinks.  We’re having a garage sale carnival on Saturday in the rain in Fairview Pennsylvania with our 3 dogs and her 2 dogs, the RV parked in front of her house and a basement full of antiques and junk!  Oooo la la! Don't ya wish you were here?

3 comments:

  1. The book this blog should become needs a title.
    I declare the open season for suggestions starting with: The Beaver Girls:
    A Journey of Frustration and Friendship

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suggest you both read the Steinbeck book "Travels with Charlie" if you haven't already. Steinbeck takes a road trip in an old RV with his dog Charlie to learn more about America and ends up learning a lot more about himself. Its one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at the bright side...and yes, there is always a bright side....you got rid of the ants and managed to escape having to deal with STINK BUGS!!! Not to mention, have you ever been exposed to chiggers....they ain't fun either!

    ReplyDelete